What We Do

Links, Photos & Videos

Learn to Fly with Us at Midwest Corporate Air, Inc.

Learn to Fly with Us

Learn to Fly with Us!

Come to one of the newest airports in the United States and have a blast while you learn.

Since relocating to the "new" airport (KEDJ), Midwest Corporate Air has trained over 110 pilots ranging from Private Pilot through ATP. We invite you to visit our facility, talk to our team, review our successes. If you decide to train with us, you will realize how much we care about you and how passionate we are about providing excellent flight training, customized to meet your needs.

As a former USAF/ANG Officer and F4 Phantom Aviator, a current corporate pilot and an experienced Gold Seal Multi Engine Flight Instructor, owner and flight instructor Steve Buchenroth has become a leading provider of multi engine private, multi engine commercial, multi engine instructor ratings, and now offers Airline Transport Pilot(ATP) ratings.

See how we uniquely honor accomplishments here at Midwest Corporate Air, Inc .

Learn to Fly - Getting Started

Student Pilot

A student pilot certificate is issued to a pilot in training, and is a pre-requisite for the student to fly alone in the aircraft.

Private Pilot

The private pilot license allows a pilot to operate any single engine land aircraft.

Instrument Rating

The instrument rating allows flight in the IFR (Instrument Flight Rules) environment. It requires a Private Pilot license or Commercial Pilot license. An Instrument rating is an add-on which allows a pilot to fly in weather with reduced visibilities such as rain, low clouds, or heavy haze. The training provides the skills needed to complete flights without visual reference to the ground, except for the takeoff and landing phases.

Commercial Pilot

The commercial license allows pilots to fly "for hire". With a commercial pilots can do:
- Aerial Photography
- Skydiving Drops
- Operate corporate aircraft for individuals or companies
- Pipeline Patrol
- Ferry Flights

Multi Engine Rating

The multi engine rating allows operation as a pilot-in-command of an aircraft with more than one engine. The multi-engine rating can be added to a private pilot license either with or without instrument privileges or to a commercial pilot license.

Flight Instructor - CFI, CFII, & MEI

With a flight instructor certificate, commercial pilots can expand their employment by teaching others to learn to fly. From private pilot to multi-engine students, flight instructors build time and experience while sharing their knowledge with students. At Midwest Corporate Air our flight instructors, Steve Buchenroth and Ben Gaertner, are enthusiastic and passionate about flying.

Airline Transport Pilot

ATP (Airline Transport Pilot) is the highest level of aircraft pilot license. Those certified as Airline Transport Pilots are authorized to act as pilot-in-command of an aircraft in air carrier service in aircraft with a max gross weight over 12,500 pounds or 5,700 kg and/or over 9 passenger seats.

Requirements for Licenses and Ratings

Student Pilot

Must be 16 years of age or older
Pass a flight physical administered by an Aviation Medical Examiner
Receive ground and flight instruction
Earn an endorsement from a certificated flight instructor (CFI)

A student pilot certificate is issued to a pilot in training, and is a pre-requisite for the student to fly alone/solo in the aircraft.

Private Pilot

Must be at least 17 years old
Minimum of 35–40 hours of flight time
20 hours of instruction
10 hours of solo flight

Private pilots may not fly for compensation or hire. However, they may carry passengers as long as they have the appropriate training, ratings, and endorsements. Private pilots must have a current Class III medical exam, which must be renewed every 24 or 60 months (depending on age). In addition private pilots must revalidate their pilot certificates every 24 months by undertaking a flight review with a certificated flight instructor (CFI).

Instrument Rating

50 hours of Pilot in Command cross country
40 hours of simulated or actual instrument time
15 hours of flight instruction towards Instrument Rating

This rating requires training by a certificated flight instructor (CFI) with a special instrument instruction rating (CFII), and completion of an additional written exam, oral exam, and flight test. Pilots applying for an instrument rating must hold a current private pilot certificate and medical.

Testing consists of a written exam and a practical test (known as the check ride). The check ride is divided into an oral component to verify that the applicant understands the theory of instrument flying and an actual flight to ensure the pilot possesses the practical skills required for safe IFR flight.

Commercial Pilot

Must be at least 18 years old
Minimum of 250 hours of flight time (100 hours in powered aircraft, 50 hours in airplanes, and 100 hours as pilot in command (of which 50 hours must be cross-country flight time)

In addition, commercial pilots must hold an instrument rating, or be restricted to flying for hire only in daylight, under visual flight rules (VFR), within 50 miles of the originating airport.

Airline Transport Pilot (ATP)

Must be at least 23 years old
Minimum of 1,500 hours of flight time, including 500 hours of cross-country flight time, 100 hours of night flying, and 75 hours in actual or simulated instrument flight conditions.
Must have a commercial certificate and an instrument rating.
Must have a current Class I medical exam, which renew every six months.

Like all pilots, they must revalidate their certificates every 24 months with a flight review. ATPs may instruct other pilots in air transportation service in aircraft in which the ATP is rated.